What is Neurofibromatosis?
Neurofibromatosis Type 1 (NF1) is more prevalent than Cystic Fibrosis, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, and Huntingtons Disease combined.
Complications may include:
- Tumours growing along nerves on the skin and inside the body
- Bone Deformities/Scoliosis (eg Curvature of the spine)
- Sight Problems/Blindness
- Hypermobility/Mobility Issues
- Learning Difficulties (eg Dyslexia)
- Social Skill Difficulties (eg Autistic Spectrum Disorder)
- Attention and Impulsivity (eg ADD/ADHD)
- Coordination Difficulties (eg Dyspraxia)
- 95% will have 6 or more coffee coloured patches (Café au Lait marks)
Which can lead to feeling:
- Low Self-Esteem
- Chronic Pain